Friday, September 21, 2012

A Visit to the Oz Festival


Some older Oz fans - fun for everyone!

What story has a meaning for young and old alike? “The Wizard of Oz!” Where can you go to find children, adults, teenagers and old people all involved and happy about the same thing – OZ!  There’s where I was last week--in Chesterton, Indiana at the Oz Festival. It is always a lovely place to be.

A younger fan is enchanted by the guard.
Chesterton is a small town in northern Indiana not far from Chicago. It’s an old town, built in the early 1900s, with charming homes, surrounded by cornfields, not far from the Indiana Dunes off Lake Michigan. It also has a train running through it every twenty minutes, which is charming or annoying, depending how you look at it.

Chesterton began celebrating L. Frank Baum’s Oz books in 1981. It was an idea begun by Mrs. Nelson, a woman in town who owned a Wizard of Oz gift shop . At this festival you may see characters, not only from Baum’s most famous book, but from his other books, like Ozma of Oz. During this two-day event, everyone is happy.



A mother as Glinda with her daughters as
charming Dorothy and Munchkin.

The Festival also has loads of vendors. John Fricke, Oz and Garland historian is the Master of Ceremonies. This year, only one original Munchkin from The Wizard of Oz film was able to attend, feisty and wonderful Margaret Pellegrini. There were also two wives of Munchkins who appeared in the film and Caren Marsh Doll, MGM dancer who was Judy Garland’s stand-in and in various scenes appears in the film as well. Ms. Marsh-Doll is now in her nineties, a beautiful and gracious lady. It’s a privilege to speak with her.
 
Caren Marsh Doll

Roger Baum, L. Frank Baum’s great grandson was also present, signing copies of his book, “Dorothy of Oz,” which has been made into an animated film, soon to be released. There are always plenty of events, celebrities and characters to keep this Festival exciting.
Here I am with the Scarecrow, Dorothy & the Tin Man. The Lion,
who has had his mane curled, is just out of range.

Having visited Chesterton’s Oz Festival for the second time, I am once again filled with happiness at having been there. I was there to sell my books, From Tennessee to Oz, Parts 1 and 2 and my new book, A Cat Named Toto. I have to say I received some guff from purists, but I can’t help the fact that at the age of eight I named my new cat Toto, in honor of the original Toto. My Toto had every reason to deserve the name and was a wonderful cat. I felt happy just writing this story with the hope that children will enjoy Toto just as I did.

While I was in Oz, I learned about another Oz celebration in our United States. The Oz Festival in North Carolina. I am told it is a beautiful and enchanted place which adds to the wonder of this Oz Celebration. For more information, please click here:


Thanks for reading my little story. The Oz Festival and the opportunity to celebrate L. Frank Baum’s wonderful books and MGM’s unforgettable film deserve some space on this blog.

The next blog will return to Judy Garland’s pioneer family history.

I meet the Lion, Tin Woodsman and Scarecrow dressed as the
Wicked Witch's guards. Fun!
Photo Courtesy Phyllis McCleary Turner


No comments:

Post a Comment